This program prepares students for initial New York State certification to teach at the secondary school (7-12) level.
Additional Education Requirements
- All teaching-option students must successfully complete a year of college-level study in a language other than English or demonstrate equivalent proficiency.
- All teaching-option students must successfully complete a writing course numbered WRTG 10600 or above.
- All teaching-option students must maintain a minimum overall G.P.A. of 3.0 as well as a G.P.A. of 3.0 in their subject area coursework. No more than 3 credits at the grade of C- or below may be counted toward meeting the 36-credit requirement of the B.A. in social studies with teaching option.
- Students must earn a grade of B or better in all EDUC courses in the Education Core to qualify for student teaching. A grade of B- does not qualify.
- EDUC 49810 and EDUC 41210 constitute a full course load during the student-teaching semester. No additional courses may be taken nor can teacher candidates participate in extra-curricular activities that have the potential to affect time for teaching and preparation.
- During the semester of student teaching, the student may not play a college sport.
- All candidates for initial certification must successfully complete all New York State Certification tests or performance assessments required by the state for the applicant's intended teaching certificate (type, grade levels, and subject areas).
- The department chair and the coordinator of teacher education in the subject area must approve any exceptions to the above requirements.
- The All-College Teacher Education Unit at Ithaca College requires teacher education students, regardless of program area, to be reviewed at four programmatic transition points during their course of study. Continuation in a teacher education major is contingent upon the student successfully meeting the requirements of each transition point review; therefore, admission into one of the Ithaca College Teacher Education Program majors at admission or upon transfer to the College does not guarantee that a student will be allowed to complete the program required for teaching certification. Further information can be found in the Unit-Wide Assessment Systems section of the main Department of Education catalog page.