Outdoor Pursuits Minor
Please note that students are no longer being accepted into the Outdoor Pursuits minor after 12/31/2021.
The outdoor pursuits minor is open to students majoring in all disciplines except outdoor adventure leadership.
Outdoor pursuits are used in many settings. Businesses are using “outward-bound” type programs with their executives. Social service agencies offer camping and outdoor adventure programs for clients. Schools are using outdoor education and camping programs as part of their curriculum. Wilderness therapy is a growing field for troubled youth and drug and alcohol programs. This academic minor program prepares students to plan, organize, and lead outdoor leadership programs of limited scope.
Special Academic Status Policy for Outdoor Pursuits Minors
- A student in this minor must receive a semester grade of at least C- in all required RLS-prefix courses.
- A student who fails to complete a required RLS-prefix course with a grade of at least C- must repeat the course. The Ithaca College policies on repeating courses must be followed. See "Repeating a Course" under Credit and Grade Information.
- A student who receives less than a C- after repeating a required RLS course will be subject to dismissal from the program.
To provide students greater flexibility and to increase the accessibility of courses for more students to meet the minor requirements, the revised program offers two tracks:
- Track 1 for students who are able to participate in the Immersion Semester Program (ISP), which is a study-away semester; and
- Track 2 for students who are not able to participate in the ISP yet would like to gain basic outdoor leadership and program planning skills.
|TRACK 1 (IMMERSION SEMESTER PROGRAM)|
|Required courses (18 credits)||18|
|Selected Topics in Rescue|
|Outdoor Adventure Skills|
|The Wilderness Experience|
|Wilderness Land Use Ethics|
|Wilderness Expedition Leadership|
|TRACK 2 (ON-CAMPUS OPTION)|
|Required courses (8 credits)||8|
|Fundamentals of Leadership|
|Foundations of Outdoor Adventure Pursuits|
|Introduction to Backpacking|
|Track 2 Electives|
|Select at least 9 credits from the following:||9|
|Selected Topics in Adventure Skills Fundamentals|
|Selected Topics in Adventure Skill Fieldwork|
|Wilderness First Responder|
|Service Learning in Recreation|
|Organization and Supervision of Outdoor Pursuits|