Academic Catalog

Academic Policies

Student's Right to Petition

Each currently enrolled graduate student has the right to petition the provost to waive any of the all-College academic regulations. Students may also petition the provost to review any other academic issue that has not been resolved first by the instructor, or subsequently by the graduate program chair, and then by the dean; in order to be considered, any such petition must be received by the office of the provost no later than the last day of classes of the fall or spring semester after the events which gave rise to the academic issue addressed in the petition. Petitions related to grades must first follow the guideline under “Policy on Grade Disputes".

To petition the provost, the student should submit a written petition to the dean with a copy to the graduate program chair and a copy to any faculty member(s) involved. The dean sends the petition to the provost along with their recommendation.  Each petition is considered by the provost or designee on an individual basis and is decided based on the facts that pertain to the particular student’s situation. When it is appropriate and feasible, the provost or designee consults with the individuals involved before making the final decision. While a decision on appeal is pending, the student may continue to take courses in the program, except for clinical or fieldwork courses.

Policy on Grade Disputes

Grade disputes should be resolved directly between the individual faculty member and the student. If that is not possible, the graduate program chair and/or dean may intervene for purposes of mediation. Any student disputing a grade must provide written notification of the disputed grade to the faculty member, no later than two weeks from the date when classes begin in the succeeding fall or spring semester. Failing resolution of the matter at the school level, the student may petition the provost as described under “Students’ Right to Petition." The final resolution of the dispute will be made by the provost. As a general principle, the authority to change a grade rests with the individual faculty member. Exceptions made by the provost occur only for the most compelling reasons.

Grading System

The acceptable grades and corresponding points for grade point average (GPA) calculations are as follows. All grades except S (satisfactory), U (unsatisfactory), P (pass), I (incomplete), PI (permanent incomplete) and W (withdrawn) are used in calculating a student’s GPA.  GPA calculations are not rounded.

Grade Points
A 4.00
A- 3.70
B+ 3.30
B 3.00
B- 2.70
C+ 2.30
C 2.00
C- 1.70
F 0.00

Repeating a Course

A student who receives a grade lower than B in a graduate course not designated as repeatable may repeat the course once with permission from the graduate chair. For any course repeated under this policy, credit toward graduation requirements is granted only once, and only the highest grade received in the repeated course is counted in the cumulative GPA. The final grade earned for the repeated course, each time it is attempted, will remain on the transcript. The cumulative GPA will not be adjusted under this policy for any courses repeated after a degree has been awarded, or for any course repeated before the fall semester of 2014. Repeating a course may have financial aid implications; financial aid recipients intending to repeat a course should first seek advice from Student Financial Services. This policy applies only to courses taken at Ithaca College.

Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

Graduate programs are permitted to use P/F or S/U grade options for graduate-level workshops (700-level) and selected courses only.

Time Limitations for Completion of Degree Requirements

Candidates for an advanced degree are required to meet general and major field requirements within six calendar years of their matriculation date. Some programs have more restrictive timelines that supersede this general policy. Any exception must be approved in writing by the dean of the School after review and recommendation by the Graduate Council.

Incomplete Grades

A faculty member may assign a grade of I (incomplete) to a graduate student whose work on a thesis or other individual study course is not complete at the end of a semester or academic session. Otherwise, incompletes are given only when a student is doing satisfactory work but cannot complete the course for a reason not related to academic performance (i.e. medical, family emergency). The incomplete must be requested by the student, before the semester ends, in a timely manner. The student must schedule a meeting with the faculty member issuing the grade, and provide written documentation of legitimate reasons that justify the request.

Terms for the completion of the course are to be determined by the faculty member, in consultation with the student. Once the faculty member and student agree upon the specific assignments with criteria for assessment and the due date, the incomplete grade form must be filled out completely and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. This form will serve as a contract between the student and the faculty member and will include a date for course completion.

When the terms of the contract have been met, the instructor of record or appropriate administrator will complete a change of grade form to change the I to the earned grade.

Students who after consultation with the graduate chair, determine they will not complete a thesis course should request that the instructor complete a grade change form to a Permanent Incomplete (PI). This form requires the approval of the graduate dean of the school. A PI grade cannot be changed back to a regular grade. Students who receive a PI grade and want credit for that course must register again and complete the requirements. Students may graduate with a PI grade provided all degree requirements have been met. A PI grade is not computed into the GPA.

If no complete grade is received by the due date and no PI is approved, a grade of F is recorded on the transcript. Graduate students cannot receive their degree from Ithaca College with a grade of I recorded on their academic transcript.