Academic Catalog

Student Academic Status Policies and Academic Performance Requirements

Student Academic Status


Matriculation is an enrollment status applicable to the student who:

  1. has met graduate admission standards established by a particular school/department;
  2. has been accepted into a graduate degree program by the same school;
  3. has registered for graduate courses at Ithaca College;
  4. after acceptance into a graduate program, has begun attending classes in those courses.

Good Academic Standing

Graduate students are required to maintain a minimum semester GPA of 3.00 each semester in order to remain in good academic standing at the college level. Graduate students must achieve a minimum cumulative, final GPA of 3.00 in order to graduate.

Academic Warning

Upon completion of a semester or academic session of work at less than 3.00 semester GPA, the student will be issued an academic warning by the school Dean. Warning will be removed upon completion of a full semester’s coursework at 3.00 GPA or better, or upon completion of the degree program with a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA. A student must attain a semester GPA of 3.0 or higher while on academic warning to remain in their program.

This is the college-wide standard.  A particular program may have more specific requirements; additional information is available from the program office.

Academic Dismissal

Two consecutive semesters or academic sessions below a cumulative 3.0 GPA will be grounds for dismissal from the degree program and college. In addition, any student receiving more than 3 credits of F will be subject to dismissal.

This is the college-wide standard.  A particular program may have more specific requirements; additional information is available from the program office.

Second Major Field

With consultation and approval from the student’s major adviser, a second major field may be listed on a student's transcript when 50 percent of the second program's additional coursework is completed (e.g., 15 additional credits for programs requiring 30 credits for completion). A second major field does not lead to an additional degree or additional certification.

Leave of Absence

Standard Leave

Typically a standard leave of absence may be granted for up to one year to graduate students who wish to interrupt their studies at Ithaca College. Application for a standard leave of absence is handled through the dean. An appointment should be made with the program’s dean for an exit interview and to complete the proper application form.

If the student is enrolled in classes, taking a leave of absence by the withdrawal deadline date published in the academic calendar results in grades of W (withdrawn) in all courses other than completed block courses. Taking a standard leave of absence after the last date to withdraw as published in the academic calendar results in grades of F in all courses other than completed block courses.

The standard leave of absence allows the graduate student on leave the opportunity to register in advance for the semester of return.

If a graduate student takes a standard leave of absence and later is suspended, dismissed, placed on warning for unsatisfactory academic performance, or suspended or expelled as the result of a judicial decision, the sanctions take precedence over a regular leave of absence and stand as a matter of record. Academic warning becomes operative at the time of return to the College after a suspension.

Graduate students on a standard leave of absence who decide not to return to Ithaca College should contact the dean to apply for a program withdrawal. The date of separation for the standard leave of absence will be used as the date of separation for the withdrawal.

Graduate students who do not return after the specified standard leave of absence period and who do not apply for a program withdrawal are administratively withdrawn, and the last day of attendance will be considered the date the leave of absence began. Students withdrawn from a program are required to reapply in order to return to the College. In such instances, there is no guarantee of readmission.

Emergency Leave

Graduate students who must leave the College on urgent personal grounds that necessitate their absence for a semester, such as death or a serious illness in the immediate family, may request an emergency leave of absence. Documentation of the serious nature of the emergency must be provided. Applications for emergency leave of absence are available at the dean’s office.

Medical Leave

Graduate students who must leave the College because of medical or psychological conditions that necessitate their extended absence may request a medical leave of absence for up to two semesters.  Application forms for medical leaves of absence are available at Hammond Health Center.  Applications for medical leave for the current semester must be submitted no later than the last day of classes as published in the academic calendar.

Students with significant medical/psychological issues that arise during the final exam period should contact the chair of the graduate program or the Dean of their School. Documentation of the serious nature of the medical/psychological condition must be provided, by a certified medical or mental health professional, to Hammond Health Center in order for the application to be complete. Approval must be given by the Director of Health Services, who may consult with the Director of Counseling and Psychological Services and  the chair of the graduate program or Dean of the School in which the student is enrolled.

Students who were initially approved for one semester of medical leave may request a second semester by contacting the Health Center. Extending the medical leave beyond two semesters requires documentation from a certified medical or mental health professional as stated above and requires approval from the Dean of the student’s School.

When a medical leave of absence is granted, the course grade in all courses for which the student is registered will become a W (withdraw), other than completed block courses. Students taking a medical leave of absence or withdrawal who are recipients of federal Title IV financial aid should refer to “Refund Procedure” to determine the implications of that medical leave for the financial aid program. Questions about individual cases should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services website.

While on medical leave, students will have their College ID card invalidated within seven days of approval of the medical leave of absence. Students are not eligible to participate in student employment and/or assistantships effective the date of approval of the medical leave of absence and for the duration of their medical leave.

A student will not be able to register for classes until the student has been approved to return from a medical leave of absence. If the medical leave is approved after a student has registered for classes for the subsequent semester, those class registrations will also be canceled.

Students who want to return from a medical leave of absence must contact Hammond Health Center to request an application to return. Before the application can be considered, supporting documentation from a treating medical or mental health professional must be submitted to the Health Center. This documentation must indicate that the medical and/or psychological condition has been addressed, that the student is able to function safely as a member of the College community, and that the student is capable of resuming study at the College. Furthermore, this documentation should provide the nature and duration of treatment, and any recommendations for ongoing care once the student has returned to campus. Approval to return must be given by the Director of Health Services, who may consult with the Director of Counseling and Psychological Services and  the chair of the graduate program or dean of the School in which the student is enrolled.

If a student does not return after the medical leave of absence and does not extend it, they will be administratively withdrawn from the College and must go through a medical and academic readmission process in order to return. In such instances, there is no guarantee of readmission or reinstated institutional financial aid. All graduate students, including those taking medical leave, must comply with the six-year time limit for completion of their degrees.

Withdrawal from the College

Student Initiated Withdrawal

Students deciding to withdraw from graduate study at any time before completion of their degree program should contact the chair of their program to initiate the withdrawal process. This process should include discussion with the graduate chair and school dean as to the reasons for withdrawal and implications for assistantship support. If, after these discussions, the student wishes to continue the withdrawal process, they must complete a "notification of withdrawal" form (available from the graduate chair or the dean's office) and obtain the signature of the dean. Failure to follow this process may jeopardize the student's potential for readmission at a future date.

Withdrawals may have financial implications. Students are advised to consult the Student Financial Services website for contact information for Student Financial Services. Information on the Refund Procedure can be found in the financial aid portion of this catalog.

Administrative Withdrawal

Graduate students who have not registered for academic course work and/or are not making satisfactory progress on a thesis or other research projects may, at the discretion of the graduate program chair, be administratively withdrawn.  Students will be notified in writing of the administrative withdrawal.

Semester Workload

One semester of coursework is defined as 9 credits or more in a single semester if full-time, or 6 credits or more accumulated across two semesters if part-time.

Unit of Credit

Credit is earned at Ithaca College in semester credit hours as measured by the Carnegie unit -- defined as one hour of classroom instruction and two hours of assignments outside the classroom for a period of 15 weeks for each credit.

Transfer Credit

Courses submitted for transfer credit must be appropriate and applicable to the student's degree or teacher certification program, and a grade of B or better must have been earned. Transferable credits must have been earned not more than four years before matriculation, and no more than six credits may be transferred and applied toward a graduate degree. Grades earned in transferred courses are not applicable to the graduate cumulative GPA. Students who have matriculated and who wish to earn graduate credit elsewhere for transfer to Ithaca College should obtain approval in writing from the graduate program chair and the dean before registering for a course intended for transfer.

Students must submit a written request for transfer credit to the dean. The request must be supported by an official transcript sent directly to Ithaca College from the institution(s) at which the credit was obtained.

Credit for Workshops

Graduate workshops (700 level) are offered for graduate credit. With the approval of the adviser, a graduate student may count up to five graduate workshop credits toward a master's degree.

Credits for Ithaca College - Cornell University Exchange

This reciprocal arrangement between Ithaca College and Cornell University allows graduate students, with prior approval and within the stated stipulations, to cross-register for one course or up to 4 credits per semester at Cornell. This arrangement is available during the fall and spring semesters only and is contingent on space availability at Cornell.

Policies, costs, registration dates, and academic calendars are available on the IC to CU Exchange website. Further information and program petition forms are also available on the exchange website and from the Office of Extended Studies.

Comprehensive Examination Requirement

Some graduate programs may require a comprehensive examination; additional information about this requirement is available from the program office.

Thesis and Project Requirements

Students required to complete a thesis or project as partial fulfillment of the degree requirements should request a thesis adviser through the department and register through their school for the appropriate course and credits. If not required by the program or school, the thesis or project is optional. If a student elects to do either a thesis or a project, the credits earned may be applied toward a degree or may be in addition to degree requirements, at the discretion of the department or school concerned.

If completing a thesis or research project: after approval by the thesis adviser, the thesis or project should be submitted to the respective graduate program chair one month before the anticipated graduation date. The dean will review and approve all theses. It is the responsibility of the degree candidate to schedule an examination in defense of the thesis when submitting it to the graduate program chair.

Application Process for Graduation

Ithaca College awards graduate degrees in May, June, August, October, and December. During the term preceding the awarding of the degree, the degree candidate must complete the following steps:

  • File an application to graduate. The application must be filed online with the Office of the Registrar by the specific filing deadline for May, June, August, October, or December graduation, as shown in the academic calendar.
  • Confirm with the Office of the Registrar that any credits transferred from another institution are recorded on the transcript.
  • If there have been any changes in program requirements, confirm that approval has been obtained in writing from the program chair and School dean and verified by the Assistant Registrar for Student Services in the Office of the Registrar. This includes waivers, courses accepted in lieu of required courses, and verification that all program degree requirements have been met.
  • Satisfactorily complete comprehensive examinations, if applicable.
  • Verify with the graduate program chair that all degree requirements have been met.
  • If desired, schedule an exit interview with the dean of your School at least one month before completion of the last semester.

Use of Human Subjects in Research

Use of Human Subjects in Research

All research projects at Ithaca College that use humans as subjects must be reviewed and approved by the All-College Review Board on Human Subjects Research. The use of human subjects refers to data collection via survey, supervised activity, and interview, as well as other methods. The Ithaca College HSR Guidelines document is available on the Human Subjects Research website.

Program Changes

Changes in a semester program schedule must be made within the one-week add/drop period.

Students who remain enrolled, or who take an approved leave of absence, are required to fulfill the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their initial matriculation; if the degree requirements are changed, such students may instead elect to fulfill the revised requirements. In order to do so, they must provide formal written notice to the Office of the Registrar as part of the application for graduation process, in accordance with published deadlines.

Students who withdraw and are subsequently readmitted will be bound by program and degree requirements in force during the academic year in which they are readmitted.

The College reserves the right to make changes in degree requirements, course offering regulations, and procedures contained in this catalog as educational and financial considerations require.